Wholesalers must have a licence to play music

Licensing body PRS for Music is warning wholesalers that they need to buy a license for any music they play in their depots.

While cases of being taken to court are rare, PRS says they do happen and it can backcharge companies who initially refuse to pay. At the moment PRS is trying to encourage wholesalers to get in touch of their own accord in order to get a discounted rate.

A direct mail campaign will inform wholesalers about the licensing requirement and there are also field sales personal who visit premises.

There are different tariffs, which affect shops and depots, music in the workplace, and telephone on-hold music.

A licence for background music in an average cash and carry of 3,501-4,000sq m would be pound;957.20 a year on standard rate.

For music playing in a distribution depot where no customers are present, the cost is worked out by the number of workers present, how long they are listening to the music and the type of music they are playing.

For on-hold music the cost depends on how many external lines there are.

l For more information contact 0800 068 4828 or visit the PRS website at www.prsformusic.com

Get Our E-Newsletter - Wholesale News stories in your in-box, delivered weekly.
Will be used in accordance with our Privacy Policy

About The Author