Bidfood has rewarded the industry’s unsung heroes through its Christmas Gift campaign.
With longer hours and busier service periods, those in hospitality have a very different festive experience to the people they are serving. With this in mind, Bidfood launched a campaign to find and recognise those who work on Christmas or Boxing Day and who go the extra mile to make the season special for others.
From more than 100 nominations, a panel of leading industry influencers including Andy Kemp, Bidfood’s group sales and marketing director; Anne Pierce, CEO at Springboard; Peter Hancock, chief executive at Pride of Britain Hotels; and Andy Jones, chair of the Public Sector 100 Group, selected eight winners across six industry sectors.
The full list of winners and categories are as follows:
- Hospitals – Ian Smart, Kitchen Porter, Taunton & Somerset NHS Foundation Trust, Taunton
- Care Homes – Bev Wernham, Kitchen Assistant, Thistle Court Nursing Home, Monmouthshire and Kate Bagwell Head Chef, the Laurels, Weston Super Mare
- Restaurants – Juanita Yansen, Restaurant Manager, The Blue Boar, Abridge
- Pubs and pub restaurants – Janet Conaghan, Head Chef, The Gretna Inn, Gretna
- Hotels – Caroline Whitney, Head Chef, Vincent House, Notting Hill
- Other (including schools, universities and OOH) – Rachael King, Store Manager, Subway, Wilmslow and Marc Carpenter, Head Chef, CTC Kingshurst Academy, North Solihull
Each winner will be treated to a Christmas dinner with all the trimmings for them to enjoy with family and friends, as well as a Virgin Experience Day voucher worth £150.
Andrew Selley, CEO of Bidfood said: “We know that around 92,000 chefs, kitchen assistants, waiting and bar staff work in hotels, pubs and restaurants on Christmas day, and many more across the whole foodservice industry will give up time with their friends and family. From care homes to restaurants, the kitchen and serving teams are all too often the unsung heroes at this time of year and we wanted to thank them for their efforts by gifting them back a dinner for them to enjoy with loved ones.”
For more information about Bidfood’s Christmas Gift campaign and to hear about the winners please visit: www.bidfood.co.uk/bidfood-christmas-gift